12/20/07

Thing #2

SC=Stephen R. Covey
PLCM=Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County

Habit #1
SC-Be Proactive: Principles of Personal Vision
PLCM-Begin with the end in mind. Set Goals

Habit #2
SC-Begin with the End in Mind: Principles of Personal Leadership
PLCM-Accept responsibility for your own learning.

Habit #3
SC-Put First Things First: Principles of Personal Management
PLCM-View problems as challenges.

Habit #4
SC-Think Win/Win: Principles of Interpersonal Leadership
PLCM-Have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner.

Habit #5
SC-Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood
PLCM-Create your own learning tool box.

Habit #6 SC-Synergize Principles of Creative Communication
PLCM-Use technology to your advantage.

Habit #7
SC-Sharpen the Saw: Principles of Balanced Self-Renewal
PLCM-Teach and mentor others.

Habit #7 ½
PLCM-Play.

For me, sometimes it helps to start with what I know (or have been exposed to) then move to the new learning. I have had some training a long time ago on the Stephen R. Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. So, when I lined them up next to the Public Library of North Carolina’s 7 Habits of Life-Long Learning I had a little fun trying to see how well they matched (not that they needed to).

Habits 1 and 2 of Covey seem to match PLCM’s 2 and 1.

Habit 3 of both seem similar with adding PLCM’s habit 4.

Covey’s habit 4 and PLCM’s 5 are similar in that many of my learning tools are people with whom I want a win/win when we learn.

Habit 6 in both seem similar.

Covey’s habit 7 seems to incorporate PLCM’s Habit 7 and 7 ½.

Now which of PLCM’s habits will be easiest for me? Number 4. I have always learned easily.

Which will be hardest for me? Number 5. I am not organized and I am lazy. So, collecting and organizing and managing tools will be difficult for me. In the past I have been able to recall what I needed to get by in learning. But I do not remember specifics (like Blooms taxonomy) but I remember general concepts (not the jargon). So I will enjoy the difficulty.

No comments: